Week of June 11th
Street and/or Lane Closures
1. 55th: Amber Court to Hillview- Curb and sidewalk work is taking place. Eastbound traffic is prohibited with a detour using 57th, 56th and Ebb way
2. Brooks Street- Garfield to Grant-The Southgate Mall is relocating their main entrance from the present location to the intersection with Agnes. On 5/22 Knife River will begin construction work in Brooks Street for a new secondary access road to Southgate Mall and for a new intersection at Brooks St. and Mary Ave/Agnes Ave. The anticipated construction schedule is as follows: 5/22-6/7: Close the right hand lane southbound on Brooks between S. Garfield and Agnes. Turn signal to Mall off 6/8/2017: Close right lane Northbound Work will continue on this project through the month of June. This project will eventually require lane closures for the inside lanes, the turn lanes, and the northbound lanes of Brooks St. Agnes St. will be closed from Brooks St. to S. Grant St. from June 7 – June 19 in order to reconstruct the Agnes side of the new intersection at Brooks St. A detour will be setup for Agnes St. traffic. During the same time frame the right hand lane northbound on Brooks will be closed. Access to Denny’s and Arby’s off Brooks St. will be closed during this phase of work. Please use S. Garfield St. to access these businesses. All other business access points in the work zone will be maintained, but keep in mind that you may have to take an alternate route to reach the access points. Please use caution in this work area and be alert to changing conditions. As always please follow all lane restrictions, detours, and speed limits.
3. Orange Street at 1-90: The major construction work is continuing on the Orange Street/I-90 roundabout. Construction of the roundabout will continue throughout the spring with a late May completion date expected. Expect significant traffic delays during peak hours. No trucks all allowed thorough this intersection. I-90 is unaffected.
4. Orange Street- N 3rd to N 2nd: Construction will start on a new water main in Orange Street. This work is tentatively scheduled to start on June 5 and last 2 to 3 weeks. During this work North Orange will be closed. Detours will be signed but this will be long Development Services – Engineering 406.552.6630 www.ci.missoula.mt.us/developmentservices and circuitous and result in significant congestion and delays. Strongly recommend seeking alternative routes.
5. Orange Street- S 1st West to S 6th W-The City will start a repaving project. 2 way traffic will be maintained but expect lane closures and significant delays during peak hours. Paving will commence on Monday weather permitting.
6. Madison Street Bridge: Work continues as the excavation and removal of old deck material in the southbound lanes is nearing completion. Once the decking is cleared, work on the bridge’s steel frame will begin. Crews will also be starting the construction of the new pier structure at the southern end of the bridge. For the duration of the second half of the project, there will be large openings due to deck removal in the southbound lanes. All pedestrians and cyclists are asked to not enter the work zone under any circumstances, day or night. Protective barriers have been installed to ensure that no debris falls from the bridge into the trail system below. The pedestrian/bike underbridge below the Madison Street Bridge, which connects the Milwaukee river trail on the south side of the river to Ron’s River Trail on the north side of the river, is now closed. The underbridge closure is in place due to safety reasons while crews remove and replace the bridge decking in the southbound lanes of the Madison Street Bridge directly above. Pedestrians and bikers are now able to cross via the newly widened sidewalk in the northbound lanes of the Madison Street Bridge. Pedestrians and cyclists are asked to please not use the Underbridge during the closure at any time. Additional and nearby, river crossings for bicyclists and pedestrians are available at the Van Buren Walking Bridge and Higgins Ave Bridge. The underbridge will reopen with the completion of the Madison Street Bridge Rehabilitation in August of 2017. Water buoys will be set up in the Clark Fork River below the Madison Street Bridge to direct water crafts and summertime tubers to opposite sides of the river from the hazards of falling debris from deck removal. Please be aware of safety signs at public water accesses and do not enter the blocked sections of the river at any time.
7. Old Highway 93 – Post Siding Road to McDonald Street: Most of the work is complete and the bridge is open. However there is still a considerable amount of landscaping to complete so there will be closures on the shoulders. Development Services – Engineering 406.552.6630 www.ci.missoula.mt.us/developmentservices
8. Guardsman Lane at Fort Missoula: Will be closed and detours will be in place until further notice for Fort Missoula Regional Park construction. Access to Fort Missoula museums, agencies and businesses will be via 36th Street and Green Guidon Ave.
9. Broadway – Woody to Orange: Work is continuing on construction of the Stockman’s Bank on this block. Both lanes of Woody and the parking lane on Broadway and all adjacent sidewalks will be closed for the duration of this project which should be finished late this year.
10. East Front Street- Clay to Adams: Front Street will be reduced to one lane for construction of the new Student Housing Project at the corner of Clay and East Front. This project also includes the closure all adjacent sidewalks and possible traffic delays for heavy truck traffic on Clay and Kiwanis Streets.
11. East Front Street – Higgins to Pattee: Front Street will be reduced to one lane and sidewalks will be closed for deconstruction activities at the Old Mercantile Building. This work should take approximately 2 years.
12. Franklin Elementary School – S. 10th, 11th Street W. and Grant Street: Construction continues around Franklin School. South bound Grant Street between S. 10th and S. 11th Streets, east bound S. 10th Street & west bound S. 11th Street between Grant and Johnson Streets will be closed for an extended period of time.
13. The Area Bound by 6th/Stephens/ Brooks and Crosby: A curb and sidewalk upgrade project will start in the next several weeks. Look for intermittent road closures and shoulder work. Work will be concentrated along Brooks form Higgins to Crosby for this week
14. Benton, Dearborn, and Fairview – between Eaton and Clark and Clark between Fairview and Mary: A curb and sidewalk upgrade project has started in this area, look for road closures and detours.
Park & Trail Closures
15. Kim Williams connection trail to Canyon River Trail constructed extended: Kim Williams connection trail to Canyon River Trail is now open.
16. Riverfront Trail and the Madison Street Pedestrian Under-Bridge: As of May 8th the pedestrian/bike underbridge below the Madison Street Bridge, which connects the Development Services – Engineering 406.552.6630 www.ci.missoula.mt.us/developmentservices Milwaukee river trail on the south side of the river to Ron’s River Trail on the north side of the river, will be closed. The underbridge closure is in place due to safety reasons while crews remove and replace the bridge decking in the southbound lanes of the Madison Street Bridge directly above. Pedestrians and bikers will be able to cross via the newly widened sidewalk in the northbound lanes of the Madison Street Bridge. Pedestrians and cyclists are asked to please not use the underbridge during the closure at any time. The underbridge will reopen with the completion of the Madison Street Bridge Rehabilitation in August of 2017.